France and the Maritime Alps
Over the Alps from Provence to Piedmont
This itinerary takes us over the Alps from the South of France to the North of Italy. The tour explores the stunning Mercantour National Park, a short distance from Nice on the Cote d'Azur, before we cross the border between France and Italy to hike in the Maritime Alps. We stay in the small ski resort of Limone Piemonte at 1,000 metres and finish in the elegant Piedmontese city of Cuneo, where we learn to cook local specialities. The mountain hiking has dramatic and spectacular views of snow-capped peaks, lakes and streams, and carpets of wild flowers in spring. We discover the rich history of this region on foot, with its nineteenth century forts built along the border, attractive historic villages and a delightful remote church with 15th century frescoes.
The tour starts in Nice and our meeting point is the Best Western Hôtel Masséna Nice at 58 rue Gioffredo, or Nice airport. We finish in Turin and drop guests at Hotel Concord, Via Lagrange, near Porta Nuova train station. Many people choose to extend their walking holiday by visiting other parts of Italy or taking time to explore Nice and Provence. For more details visit our City Guide page.
Cost: €2,995 per person
Single supplement: €275
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- 8 nights accommodation in three different hotels
- 2 experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life
- All meals with wines, with the exception of dinner of Night 7 which is at your leisure
- Gourmet picnics each day with snacks en route
- Support vehicle, so you can walk as much or as little of the trail as you please
- Transport in two air conditioned minibuses
- Comprehensive pre-trip information
- Museum visits and tastings as per the itinerary
- Fascinating cross-border culture
- Visit Vicoforte, one of Piedmont’s architectural masterpieces
- Fun cooking class in Cuneo
Terrain: Mountain hiking on wellgraded alpine trails, rocky in places. Although daily distances are short there is a significant amount of ascent and descent on most days (500m to 800m) so a sound level of fitness is required.
Shortest/Longest Day: 6km/12km
We have graded this hike a Level 5. Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you. If you are interested in this tour then you might also like to take a look at Austria and the Dolomites, The Best of the Italian Alps or Southern Italy
La Bonne Auberge: A simple, cosy, family-run hotel in the Mercantour National Park
Grand Hotel Principe: A four star hotel nestled high in the ski resort of Limone, with an outdoor pool
Palazzo Lovera: A four star Renaissance palazzo in the historic centre of Cuneo.