The Best of the Italian Alps
Hiking in the shadow of Europe's highest mountains
Visiting the Italian Alps in July is to see them in their very best season. We hike surrounded by spectacular views of the Gran Paradiso, Monte Rosa and Mont Blanc mountain ranges and, although the Val d'Aosta is the smallest region of Italy, it is big on hospitality and delicious French-influenced cuisine. We have a three night stay in exquisite Courmayeur, which sits on the border with France, from where we take a cable car to the "rooftop of Europe" at 3466m for unbeatable views of Mont Blanc. We hike a section of the Tour of Mont Blanc, visit ancient castles and follow in the footsteps of Roman armies, medieval pilgrims and Napoleon Bonaparte. The Gran Paradiso National Park, where we finish, is home to some unique wildlife and, at this time of year, stunning flower-filled alpine meadows.
This tour starts and finishes in Turin and our pick-up and drop-off point is the Hotel Concord on Via Lagrange close to the main Porta Nuova train station. We can also arrange collection and drop-offs at Turin airport. Many people choose to extend their walking holiday in Italy by seeing more of Turin, or travelling to Milan, Venice or Rome. For more ideas on where to go visit our City Guide page.
"I congratulate you and Mick for organising such a wonderful week among the Alps. You two run a very professional company and I would recommend travelling with you. I hope that I will join you again sometime, before age catches up!" Kathryn Hammond
Cost: €3,025 per person
Single supplement: €325
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- 8 nights beautiful accommodation in 3 luxurious 4 star hotels with spa facilities
- Two experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life.
- All meals including wine
- Gourmet meals in a variety of superb local restaurants
- Support vehicle, enabling you to walk as little or as much of the trail as you please
- Transport to/from Turin at the start and end of the holiday
- Comprehensive pre-trip information.
- Luggage transported for you so all you need to carry is a small backpack with water etc.
- Museum visits, food/wine tastings as per the itinerary
- The Eighth Wonder of the World - a cable car journey from Courmayeur to the heart of the Mont Blanc Massif at 3466m from where the peak seems to be just an arm’s length away
- Abundant alpine flowers
- Breathtaking views
Terrain: Mountain hiking on wellgraded alpine trails. Although many of the distances are short there is a significant amount (up to 800m) of ascent and descent, notably on days 3,6 and 8, so a sound level of fitness is required.
Shortest/Longest Day: 6km/3.8miles: 11km/6.7miles
We have graded this hike a Level 5. Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you. If you are interested in this tour, then you might also like to take a look at Austria and the Dolomites, France and the Maritime Alps or Southern Italy
Ad Gallias: Delightful four star hotel in the medieval town of Bard. Excellent restaurant and spa
Cresta del Duc: Four star hotel in wonderful alpine village of Courmayeur. Spa facilities
Hotel Bellevue: Luxurious hotel in the heart of the Gran Paradiso National Park in Cogne. Michelin starred restaurant and outstanding spa and indoor pool