The Italian Lakes
Lakes, Gardens and Majestic Mountains
This tour explores three of the famous lakes of northern Italy: Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and the lesser-known Lake Orta. All three have a magnificent backdrop of the snow-capped peaks of the Italian Alps, making the scenery on this trip particularly spectacular. We stay in three hotels, two of which are located right on the lake shore and have their own private jetty. The tour passes through Switzerland and we visit, and hike near, the Swiss city of Locarno on the north western shore of Lake Maggiore. In addition to our vehicles we use boats, cable cars and funiculars to transport us to different areas for walking, and we have the opportunity to visit the stunning gardens of Isola Bella and Villa Taranto. A private guided visit on the first day to some of Milan's hidden artistic gems completes a sensational itinerary for this tour.
The tour starts in Milan city centre. Our meeting point is the UNA HOTEL CUSANI which is 700 metres from Milano CADORNA train station (also known as Stazione Nord). We finish at Milan Malpensa airport. Many people choose to extend their walking holiday in Italy seeing more of Milan, or travelling to Turin, Venice or Rome. For more ideas on where to go visit our City Guide page.
"Thank you so much for another fabulous holiday. You and Annabel looked after us so well. Wonderful food and wines, great walks and logistics that worked perfectly." Catherine and Mark Jeffries
Cost: €3,125 per person
Single supplement: €325
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- 7 nights beautiful accommodation (3 different hotels)
- Two experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life.
- All meals including wine, with the exception of dinner on Day 5 which is at your leisure
- Gourmet meals in a variety of superb local restaurants
- Support vehicle, enabling you to walk as little or as much of the trail as you please
- Transport to/from Milan at the start and end of the holiday
- Comprehensive pre-trip information.
- Luggage transported for you so all you need to carry is a small backpack with water etc.
- Museum visits, food/wine tastings as per the itinerary
Your Health and Safety
- Visit some of the hidden artistic gems of Milan
- Private boat trips on Lakes Como, Maggiore and Orta
- Visits to the gardens of Isola Bella and Villa Taranto
Terrain: Cobbled mule tracks, woodland trails and rugged mountain trails. Significant ascents and descents (up to 800m) on days 3 and 6
Shortest/Longest Day: 7km/4.4 miles: 18km/10 miles
We have graded this hike a Level 4. Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you. If you are interested in this tour, then you might also like to take a look at Slovenia and Friuli, Southern Italy or The Wilds of Abruzzo
Hotel Bellavista: Family-run Liberty-style villa above Lake Como
Grand Hotel Majestic: Historic lakeside hotel with a pool in the quiet town of Pallanza on Lake Maggiore
Hotel San Rocco: 4-star lakeside hotel in Orta San Giulio with excellent restaurant