Lucca, Volterra and the Island of Elba
Hiking through Tuscan History
This classic Tuscan tour starts in the artistic gem of Lucca - a beautifully preserved city encircled by its Renaissance walls lying just south of the stunning marble mountains of Carrara. We visit Volterra, a timeless hilltop town with Etruscan and Roman history and hike to San Gimignano with its unmistakable skyline of medieval towers. On our way to the beautiful island of Elba we stop in Bolgheri - now one of the most exciting and innovative wine regions in all of Italy. We finish on Elba, hiking almost to its highest point and exploring its capital city and the villa which was home to its infamous exile - Napoleon Bonaparte.
The tour starts and ends in Pisa, and our pick-up and drop-off points are Pisa Centrale train station and Pisa airport. Many people choose to extend their walking holiday in Italy by visiting Florence, Siena, Parma, Rome or the Cinque Terre. For more ideas on where to go visit our City Guide page.
"Lucca, Volterra and Isola d'Elba were the three destinations of this new tour. The meticulous planning and execution of every part of the trip - the meals, the visits, the walks etc - makes this, as all other HH trips I have done (6 in all) so memorable." Melanie Devine
Our tours are genuinely all-inclusive - learn more about what we offer.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides to look after your every need and bring this stunning area to life
- 8 nights' beautiful accommodation in 3 different hotels
- All meals including wine
- Gourmet picnic lunches each day and snacks en route
- Dinner in a variety of superb restaurants
- Support vehicle, enabling you to walk as little or as much of the trail as you please
- Transport to/from Pisa in air-conditioned minibus and all ferry crossings
- Comprehensive pre-trip information
- Luggage transported for you so all you need to carry is a small backpack with water etc.
Your Health and Safety
See our new protocols to ensure the safety and wellbeing of both our guests and HH staff.
- Explore a jewel of the Tuscan Archipelago with island hiking
- Learn about the rich culture and history of the towns we visit
- Discover lesser-known but impressive Tuscan wines
Terrain: Strade bianche (gravel roads), woodland tracks and quiet lanes, although Day 3 has more mountainous terrain. The rest of this area of Tuscany is hilly but not mountainous
Shortest/Longest Day: 6km/3.7 miles: 18km/11.2 miles
We have graded this hike a Level 3. Some of our tours are more challenging than others, so see how we grade our hikes to make sure you choose the right one for you. If you are interested in this tour, then you might also like to take a look at Medieval Umbria, Northern Tuscany and Ravenna or Parma, Tuscany and the Ligurian Sea
San Luca Palace/Palazzo Alexander: Two 4-star converted palazzi just inside the magnificent walls of Lucca
Villa Nencini: Situated on the edge of Volterra with pool and stunning views of the Tuscan landscape
Hotel Hermitage: A spectacularly located hotel with private beach, gardens and pools on the gorgeous bay of Biodola
Tour Dates11 - 19 May 2023 11 - 19 May 2024
View Lucca, Volterra and Elba in a larger map