The High Country and Bright
High Plains and River Valleys
This new tour in Victoria explores the wild mountain scenery of the famous ski village at Falls Creek and the pretty country town of Bright on the banks of the Ovens River. In November this region springs to life with alpine flowers and, as usual, we blend our great passion for hiking with the very best food and wine of north east Victoria. The tour combines spectacular hiking on well-graded mountain trails with more leisurely walking in the hills around beautiful Bright, and this is equivalent to one of our Level 3 hikes in Europe. In addition we have a fantastic evening cooking class and dinner with one of the region’s best-loved Italian chefs, Patrizia Simone. First-time travellers to the area could extend their trip by exploring some of the High Country’s historic towns, gourmet regions or wineries, and we would be happy to offer advice and ideas to make the most of your visit.
Cost: $3050 per person based on two sharing
Single Supplement: $300
• Two professional guides to look after your every need
• Six nights’ B&B accommodation: 3 nights in a luxury alpine lodge and 3 nights in a luxury motel
• Six fully-guided hikes
• Free transfers to and from Albury NSW (airport or train station)
• Fabulous dinners every evening with excellent local and award-winning wines
• Exceptional picnic lunches
• Cooking class with Patrizia Simone
• Comprehensive pre-trip information
Your Health and Safety
- Explore the High Country with two local expert guides
- Enjoy a cooking class with well-known Italian chef
- Experience spring in the mountains with alpine flora bursting into life
Shortest/Longest Day: 6km/18.5 km
We walk on well-graded tracks in mountainous terrain. The hiking is fairly rugged in sections so sturdy walking boots, with good ankle support, are recommended. Walking poles would be an advantage, especially on steeper sections. The hikes on Days 2 and 3 have no van access at lunchtime although there is a shorter option available. On these days both guides accompany the group and carry the picnic for you.
The weather in the mountains is prone to sudden changes so be prepared for varied conditions and have suitable warm layers and waterproof clothing. We will send you a full kit list with packing tips before the tour.
If you are interested in this then take a look at our Hiking the Victorian Alps tour too.
We stay in two different locations on this tour.
In Falls Creek: Altezza 1570 apartments and Diana Alpine Lodge*
In Bright: The Colonial Motor Inn
*Solo travellers will stay in the Diana Alpine Lodge